Thursday, November 24, 2005

Beginning

Just read it…that’s what I want to call my Bible reading program. We are always having Bible studies of one book or another. Study seems like intimidating word! It makes me think of homework and last minute reading of assignments. God Himself sent me, and every one of you a letter. It’s not every day- no wait a minute – it is every day we get to hear from the Creator of the universe. Wow!! So my thought is that we just need to sample some of that letter every day. Read as you are able to understand. The Bible works well as a “sample and choose” book. That is, read it not front to back, but here and there. There are many guides to help you. Read what interests you. Some suggestions: for an action version of the life of Christ, read Mark. To be reassured of your salvation, read I John (back near Revelations). In the Psalms, David said: I have hidden Thy word in my heart that I might no sin against you,” Psalms 119:11. To me this means memorize God’s word. When you need its message you will have instant recall. Any good emergency training program tries to make itself ingrained thoroughly, so thinking is not needed to do the right thing; and if I’ve got an emergency, who better to rely on? To help remember the “where it’s at” of this verse; notice it contains 911 backwards and forwards! Look for another “Just Read It” next month.

No comments: